Pages

Thursday 13 September 2012

12 of 12 Diary for September

I saw a prompt on a blog which reminded me of something I used to do each month; take twelve photos depicting my day, during the 12th of each month. And I've been looking for any old excuse to take photos at the moment. So I was quite happy to grab my camera and record the moments from yesterday. Coincidentally, it also happened to be a time where I actually did more than just sit in front of a computer screen. It's also a day I had previously said to myself resolutely that I didn't want a record of. It's often the way that fate and opportunity find a way to alter your plans.

And I didn't want to just show 12 photos, so I popped them digitally onto two A4 layouts for the time being. I'll probably generate a proper layout with them, sometime at a future date.




The day began with a trip to the family home to meet up with my younger brother, Darren. Then it was a short, very pleasant, stroll along the canal paths to reach the care home where our Mum resides. We usually arrive in time to give her some breakfast. Today was Weetabix which Daz  made with sweetened soya milk, to make it more palatable. I fed her the first spoonfuls whilst he added the powder to the cranberry juice, which weirdly converts it into wallpaper paste (this thicker liquid, stops it from dribbling out and allows us to easily give Mum her fluids). Then we swap over. I didn't want to take any photos of Mum whilst she's in care. It's not something I want to look back on but I made an exception for today and I'm glad I did. I managed to capture the softer side to my brother. The self portrait I took in front of the mirror of her room, whilst we were getting ready to leave.




We signed out and walked a different route back, via the town centre. En route, we stopped at a deli to buy quiche for Dad and a Duck Raclette quiche for me (sounded scrummy, tasted disappointingly bland). Next was the greengrocer for a healthy fruit salad pack and then onto a sandwich chain for Darren's sarnie. It's along the canal back home and then we all commune to the conservatory (my favourite room) for lunch and a natter. Then, before leaving, I usually spend half an hour sorting out Dad's computer queries.

The post was sitting there on the hall mat, when I got home in the afternoon, where a Spellbinders' embossing folder awaited me. The rest of the day was supposed to be devoted to work but I've been sidetracked by the highly addictive and incredibly useful Pinterest site instead. Oh well, I could always believe it was in the name of research. Come 6.30pm, as I do most evenings, I ran a hot bath, with bubbles. And as it was midweek, it was my turn to sort dinner. So once I was bathed and rested, I set to it. Leftover poached salmon (from a previous evening's dinner party), grated carrot (marinated in an orange dressing with star anise) and plain old steamed green beans.

We're slovenly during the week and eat off our laps, whilst sat on the sofa, in front of the TV,  for around an hour. Then it was back on the computer to finally do some work at 9pm until bedtime. And that was how I spent my day. I've now put a reminder in my calendar so that I don't forget in the coming months either, when the 12th rolls around.

Good job today wasn't the 12th or all I'd have to show here are 12 snaps of me sat in front of a computer.

Roll on the weekend, when I can shut it off, before I go square-eyed!

Pxx

7 comments:

Justie said...

Nice... I was thinking of doing a day in the life with photos... But nothing really much going on in my life at the moment. To caputre with pictures. Maybe someday in the future. :)

Neil said...

Hi there, thank you for sharing these and letting us have a glimpse into your world. It's easy to forget that we all have lives and day to day routines other than the crafting we see most of. I think the photo of your brother and mother is beautiful.

Cath Wilson said...

Sounds like a sad day in a way, Paul, though it's always good to spend time with family. As Neil says, thank you for sharing your day - it is something precious and shares a bit of you at the same time. Great photos x

JoZart Designs said...

Thanks for sharing these precious moments. You have a gentle way of valuing even the problems of life and manage to extract gems of quality from it all.
It was a real insight into a window of your life.
Love and hugs Jo x

Jocelyn said...

Enjoyed your day of memories. I had to hold back the tears when I saw the photo of you brother feeding your Mom. What a gift we have of the care of our elderly parents. Thanks for sharing.

mark gould said...

A great idea and a tough share I am guessing, I can understand the not wanting to photo your mum whilst she is in care to save the memory's but like you said you now have a snap shot of a moment of your brother in a different light. just shows that bad/sad times can bring out the best in people.

- Jodie Lee - said...

What a wonderful way to document, and the background papers go just wonderful (they don't distract from the photos).